Mechanical Design Engineer - Phlux
Mechanical Design Engineer
Who We Are
Phlux is making robotics and automation safer and more efficient with a new class of programmable 3D sensors. Based on research we spun out of Carnegie Mellon University, these novel 3D sensors provide robust and flexible sensing that enables customers to capture what they want, when they want. Our products help robots navigate, protect workers from dangerous machinery, and alert vehicles of obstacles. Real-world autonomy is hard. Our sensors make it easier.
Who You Are
You’re an experienced engineer who has taken a design from idea to product. You're looking for a challenge in a fast-paced, innovative, and collaborative environment where your work will have a large day-to-day impact. You’re comfortable wearing many different hats, from leading a team to doing hands-on testing. You constantly evaluate your work and identify opportunities to improve the product you’re delivering. You enjoy working with a variety of stakeholders to collaborate and troubleshoot the technology, and you’re comfortable performing demonstrations with customers.
As a Mechanical Engineer at Phlux, you will work closely with the CEO and engineering team to lead the mechanical development and testing of our 3D sensors. Your work will involve the mechanical design, building, and testing of hardware including light fabrication and assembly of sensors, test rigs, and precision optical assemblies. As part of a small team, you will also lead the testing effort to characterize and validate prototype functionality. This role will involve technical interactions with customers, manufacturing partners, and component vendors.
- Integrated mechanical design of sensor hardware and enclosure including thermal and mounting interfaces with DFM in mind
- Design/assembly of precision optical sub-assemblies
- Rapid prototyping of test rigs and various mounting hardware
- Light fabricating and/or machining to realize prototypes
- Low-volume prototype assembly
- Calibration and testing of assembled sensors
- Generate, release, and maintain engineering drawings and design information in product data management (PDM) systems
- Develop repeatable testing and work instructions
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- 5+ years of experience developing mechanical hardware
- Proficient in Solidworks (or equivalent 3D CAD software)
- Ability to read electrical schematics
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related field
- Optical engineering and tight-tolerance design
- Experience in Matlab/Python/C++ for scripting automated tests
Please apply on line or forward qualified resumes to: email@example.com
Phlux provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.