At Innovation Works our mission is to introduce, connect, support, and expand the startup & entrepreneurial ecosystem within Southwestern Pennsylvania, making our region a center for innovative startups and tech investors from around the country.
The Accountant Manager for Innovation Works will report directly to the Controller. The Accounting Manager position ensures organization and funding agency policies and procedures are being followed, interacts with internal and external entities, and performs general accounting related specifically to grants and contracts. Additionally, this individual will prepare internal and external financial and accounting reports requiring independent judgment, initiative, and extensive knowledge of the organization, accounting, and policies, and procedures of the organization and various federal, state, and local external agencies. The Accounting Manager is a key employee within Innovation Works and the position requires the highest level of integrity, responsibility, and organizational skills.
- Perform monthly allocations of payroll, joint costs, and indirect costs
- Reconcile cash, and accrued liabilities, monthly
- Analyze federal grant expenditures for adequate documentation and compliance with all applicable state and federal requirements
- Prepare financial reports as required by Federal grant contracts (SBA, DOE, EDA, etc.) and maintain financial records. Ensure that reports reconcile to the general ledger
- Track matching expenses for grant contacts.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly, and/or annual financial reports
- Manage the close-out process for state, federal, and foundation grant funds, ensuring proper compliance
- Prepare journal vouchers, journal entries, cash receipt, and disbursement entries
- Assist with the audits by preparing grant materials and monthly allocation information for annual administrative and financial audits. Serve as a resource person for OMB A-133 audit.
- Prepare a statement of expenditures of federal awards for annual the audit.
- Serve as the resource person for grants and contracts during audits for sponsored projects. Coordinate training and educating project directors and project staff on allowable expenditures and work with each individual to ensure that grant funds are expended in compliance with federal, state, and local grantor agency regulations
- Interact with outside agencies, internal and independent auditors
- Ensure IW policies and procedures are in compliance with funding source requirements. Assist the Controller with the development and implementation of financial policies and procedures for grants and contract transfers, spend downs and closeouts to ensure compliance with all applicable funding agency guidelines, regulations, and circulars as needed.
- Review portfolio companies’ budgets and commitment letters to ensure planned use of funds is in accordance with funding source requirements and that in-kind matching rates are reasonable
- Responsible for tracking and collection of portfolio companies’ final reports and supporting documentation
- Responsible for verification of portfolio companies match in accordance with DCED matching requirements
- Prepare budgets for grant proposals
- Assist Controller with development of annual operating plan budget and proposal to DCED
- Assist in preparation of data for 990 tax return
- Prepare indirect cost rate proposal
- Prepare invoices for all IIF, TCI, and ETAP projects in salesforce
- Work with the EIR team to finalize the list of companies that should receive impact surveys, set up business assistance profiles for impact reports in salesforce. Send out impact surveys and troubleshoot company issues with the survey. Follow up with EIR team and companies to ensure IW has at least an 80% response rate
- Assist in preparation of state proposal and final reports
- Ensure that 100% of all projects funded have a documented site visit
- Track site visits and final reports and report to EIR’s on a regular basis
- Compile ad hoc reports as requested
- Complete other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Minimum of five years of accounting experience with two years related grants accounting experience
- Minimum of a bachelors degree in Accounting or related discipline required
- CPA required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-starter willing to take initiatives
- Strong sense of accountability and attention to detail
- Ability to juggle many competing priorities/deadlines
- Highest personal integrity and team-orientation
Please submit qualified resumes and cover letter to email@example.com.
Innovation Works provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.