Digital Content Creator/Communications Coordinator
Digital Content Creator/Communications Coordinator
The Communications Department of Innovation Works develops and manages the first experiences for stakeholders to get to know IW, what the organization does, for whom, and the impact this has on the community of Southwest PA. The Communications Department creates an overlapping, related system of web content, special events, newsletters, social media campaigns, blogs, partnerships and media outreach that enhance the organization’s brand in real time and online and build stakeholders’ relationships for potential, mutual support. The Communications Department maintains relationships with the entire startup ecosystem of entrepreneurs, investors, universities, elected officials, fellow economic development organizations, and many others in the community who support the inclusive innovation ecosystem. The department establishes and promotes Innovation Works as the central force nurturing and growing the regional startup ecosystem and contributes to the Pittsburgh region’s identity as a tech hub with momentum, where all are included and welcome.
The Communications Coordinator is part of a small team that develops and distributes traditional and online content to highlight the expertise of our team and mentors and conveys the impact of our investments, networks and resources. The Coordinator develops written and visual content for all online platforms to tell the right story, to the right audience, using the right platform at the right time. The Coordinator supports events, educational programming and relationship-building activities across IW's accelerators and organizational departments, community partners and the broader startup community. This role works seamlessly with the Communications team as well as independently, and must be flexible, communicate effectively and convey the organizational values of inclusion and innovation. In addition, this person is energetic, creative, has lots of ideas and is good at creating their own content.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Content development, implementation & management to support the Digital Media Manager in posting multi-channel, integrated communications including: web content, social media campaigns, e-newsletters, blogs and public relations activity
- Help establish key messages and tailor messages for each vehicle and audience. Maintain brand image in all materials
- Help develop and/or design marketing materials such landing pages, online fliers promoting upcoming events, reports, and other digital and print collateral that require photos, logos, design elements and/or customized templates to assist the department in marketing events and programs.
- Collaborates with team and subject matter experts to write and edit engaging, value-added content for best "customer" experience. Give direction to guest bloggers and subject matter experts on content drafting and optimization as well as guidelines and submission process.
- Maintain social media accounts, web properties (website domains, hosting) and various tools (Hootsuite, Canva and other subscriptions) to maintain current subscriptions, payments, agreements,
- Routinely update the website for keywords, algorithmic revisions, and other issues that boost search engine optimization
- Keep IW website current with news of the portfolio companies, IW programs, staff bios and photos, etc.
- Provide marketing support for special events driven by the accelerators and other departments
- Maintain content calendars and content project plans
- Collaborate with and manage vendor partners.
- Organize digital assets for easy use (templates, photo libraries, various logos and layouts, etc.)
Communications Departmental Support
Coordinate multiple email lists and databases so IW can easily segment marketing list, send communications materials to relevant groups
Oversee purchasing process with Accounting department and coordinate with other departments for shared policies and procedures (obtaining legal agreements, space usage agreements, etc.)
Departmental administrative tasks as necessary
Qualifications and Skills Required
The following requirements list the minimum education/training/experience required to qualify for this job. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be accepted.
- Five or more years of related experience in communications. Experience in a startup, technology, investment and/or nonprofit background is a plus.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent design skills and familiarity with main social media platforms (LinkedIn, Twitter, FB, TikTok, etc) Will review portfolio or website with work samples
- Ability to shoot and edit video
- Detail oriented, organized, positive and creative attitude to address multiple projects with minimal budget and leadtime while maintaining all legal and accounting norms
- Able to create content and maintain InnovationWorks.org and accelerator digital properties for engaging user experience (includes SEO optimization, Google My Business, and related content on partner sites )
Creativity and Customer Focus to cultivate engagement
- Prioritize internal and external "customer" needs to make decisions and develop content that engage our portfolio companies, investors and other and partners
- Good interpersonal and teamwork skills with a friendly personality. Ability to develop and maintain excellent rapport, cooperation and courteous relationships with Communications team, coworkers, portfolio company CEOs, media outlets, government officials, partner organizations, and the general public
- Ability to work independently. Be self-motivated, self-starter with the ability to manage multiple tasks, maintain attention to detail and work under pressure to meet deadlines through independent activity and problem-solving
- Adept at social media tactics such as developing and posting to Twitter, LinkedIn, FB, etc
- Strong understanding of new technologies and how they can be applied to marketing and project management such as the use of ClickUp, Asana or other project management tools. Innovative and forward thinking in relation to virtual meeting and webinar technology and delivering hybrid events
- Experience implementing marketing principles such as branding, effective public relations campaigns and social media content that support overarching communications goals
Strong computer skills, including:
Familiarity with Adobe Suite, including InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Premiere is a plus.
Experience with basic HTML, Wordpress other content management system is preferred.
Experience using contact databases such as Salesforce and/or self-publishing software such as Pardot, Mailchimp or similar application is desirable.
Experience using Google Analytics to tweak content and maximize viewership
Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Coordinate schedule of events across the organization to maximize participation/community impact
- Lead logistical support for departmental events, add support to other departments leading events. Experience in event planning and management is a plus.
- For Communication Department events: Manage vendor & venue interaction and contractual agreements (including soliciting an RFP when necessary, coordinate bidding process and ultimate selection, manage agreements and payments, ongoing communications)
- Role may include virtual as well as on-site event management some evenings, early mornings, and a handful of weekends
- Ability to function in a work environment which includes moderate noise level and multiple locations
Please forward qualified resumes to Kelley Benson, Director of Human Resources & Inclusion at email@example.com.
Innovation Works provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.