Robotics Technician - Innovation Works
Robotics Technician - Robotics Factory
The Robotics Factory (RF), led by Innovation Works, facilitates the formation, launch, and growth of robotics startups through three programs: Create, Accelerate, and Scale. This position falls under the Scale program and supports Robotics Factory users in product development from idea through prototyping to manufacturing at scale. The Robotics Technician will report to the Manufacturing Program Manager and work closely with other members of the manufacturing team.
This is a unique opportunity to help bring a variety of new technologies to life. You’ll be working in an exciting new prototyping facility, the Scale Shop and you will also have the opportunity to help select, purchase, operate, and maintain the shop’s equipment.
The RF Technician will use their skills to support the prototyping of robotic systems and ensure the RF Scale Shop is a clean, safe, and well-organized prototyping shop. They ensure the shop has the equipment and supplies necessary for robotics startups to rapidly iterate on their design. The goal is to reduce their product development costs, and time, and connect these entrepreneurs to the regional supply chain options.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Set up, maintain, and implement equipment preventative maintenance and repair procedures; organize equipment manuals and technical documentation
- Troubleshoot and diagnose technical issues with prototyping equipment
- Fabricate electrical and mechanical systems based on technical documentation provided by RF users or RF Scale teammates
- Support Robotics Factory Residents in fabricating their prototypes
- Ensure the shop stays clean, safe, and well organized by checking inventory, tidying up, and inspiring Residents to follow shop procedures
- Order, receive, and install prototyping equipment and supplies
- Maintain a culture of safety for themselves and others while working in a shared shop.
- Communicate effectively RF users & IW staff who possess a wide range of skills & experience.
- Assist in selecting prototyping equipment
- Advise Residents on optimizing their designs for manufacturing and assembly (DFMA)
- Support Innovation Works events, particularly RF Scale community building events like Tear Downs and open shop Build Nights
- Support the growth of the Scalable Manufacturing Network
- Review and provide feedback on design and technical documentation
- Assist RF users in electrical and mechanical component selection and procurement.
- Set up, program, and operate the robotic and automation equipment of the Scale Shop.
- Create and code test rigs or automation setups using platforms like Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or PLCs.
- Create training and educational materials for design and fabrication techniques that utilize Scale Shop equipment.
- Teach RF-users fabrication techniques and how to safely operate Scale Shop equipment.
- High commitment to Integrity, Creativity, Inclusion, Service, and Collaboration
- High degree of personal initiative and follow-through.
- Ability to fabricate and rework printed circuit boards utilizing through-hole & surface mount components.
- Experience reading and using electrical schematics and diagrams.
- Experience reading and using technical drawings.
- Experience prototyping electromechanical systems
- AAS or BS in Robotics, Electro-mechanical, or Electrical Engineering Technology or equivalent experience.
- Electrical skills to design, build, and populate circuit boards (PCB, PCBA)
- Experience preparing, creating, and reviewing Gerber files
- Experience with electrical wiring, harness design, and prototyping
- Experience working with CAD programs
- Experience working with outside technical service and support
- Entrepreneurial experience; ability to work budgets, estimate costs, and lead time
- Experience working directly with external customers in a service capacity
- 2-3 years experience in a manufacturing environment; robotics systems preferred
- Attention to detail and ability to maintain accurate documentation
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong problem-solving and troubleshooting skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with changing priorities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work flexible hours as needed
- Experience working within an engineering design review and control systems.
- PLC programming
- QA & QC experience
- Certifications or experience relating to technical product management, quality control, machining, or specific fabrication techniques
- Experience with packaging, shipping, & logistics
- Experience in modeling and electromechanical systems
- Comfortable with public speaking and presentations
Innovation Works provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.