Platform Community Manager - Innovation Works
PLATFORM COMMUNITY MANAGER
The Platform/Community Manager plays a leading role building and delivering programs that benefit companies and entrepreneurs across the IW portfolio, with an emphasis on cross-sector initiatives. Platform responsibilities include building community within key networks; fostering connections between entrepreneurs with these networks through online methods and in-person events; and defining and curating content in key functional areas to help companies reach their next stage of growth.
The candidate naturally thinks about “productization” and how to deliver value to portfolio companies through scalable, repeatable methods including networks, resources, and events. The ideal candidate is customer-focused and has prior experience in launching and running programs, either in a startup or startup support organization. Ideally, s/he has prior experience with building networks/community, digital marketing and events/programs. S/he is also comfortable working with a diverse team at a fast-pace, comparable to our portfolio companies. Outstanding communication and collaborative interpersonal skills are essential. This position requires strong organizational skills, an ability to drive results (both individually and collaboratively in an organization), and comfort communicating with substance in a transparent, direct manner. Prior experience working with startups and accelerators, preferred.
- Lead Cross-Sector Initiatives
- Lead efforts to create programs and processes that extend across IW’s three technology sectors (Software, Hardware, Life Sciences) and can benefit companies across sectors and stages
- Own portfolio company onboarding program to create an informative and engaging welcome experience to the IW portfolio. Formalize these processes, making them consistent and repeatable across sectors.
- Create cross-sector dashboard on funnel activity - including key metrics on applications and outreach
- Build Key Networks
- Proactively nurture IW’s portfolio/entrepreneur community - develop and manage programs to increase engagement
- Develop ways to create more consistent engagement with IW’s mentor community including mentor events, communication - both online and offline - while working with sector teams (Hardware, Software, Life Sciences) to integrate into the needs and timeline of the AlphaLab accelerator programs
- Define framework and processes for mentor program that each sector can leverage for mentor interactions - this includes mentor program definition, expectations and methods of engagement.
- Build and nurture other networks as applicable (e.g. ecosystem partners, corporate innovation)
- Foster Community and Connectivity
- Build community within and across the networks (e.g. founder, mentor, partner) above through in-person and online methods
- Lead internal efforts on New Portfolio Showcase event to feature accelerator and seed portfolio companies who have received recent investment
- Work with Investment Team to support connections between portfolio companies, the investor network and partners
- Track and create greater efficiencies in making introductions within our networks while respecting protocols such as double opt-in
- Curate Content and Perks to Benefit Companies
- Understanding common needs and priorities of the portfolio companies across IW’s technology sectors
- Define and implement content and workshops in areas that are broadly applicable to the portfolio (e.g. Sales, Digital Marketing, Hiring, Fundraising), working with internal and external partners to deliver these offerings or curating online content
- Maintain updated resources to benefit companies including perks for portfolio companies (e.g. discounts on software, cloud credits)
- Ensure consistency across organization
- Develop playbook and online resource repository for key programs and processes
- Ensure that the data of portfolio, mentors and partners is integrated with our marketing automation system (currently Mailchimp) and includes relevant tags or categorization for search ability
- Represent sector teams with other IW teams (Business Development, Communications, Investment Team) on major events or initiatives focused on companies and entrepreneurs
The specific qualifications and experience may vary based on the individual candidate but strong candidates will have many of the characteristics and qualities listed below.
- Prior experience working in a startup company or within a startup ecosystem is important. Strong experience in driving programs and/or building community, using scalable methods of communication and execution preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills, leadership, teamwork, verbal and written communications are a must. Online presence a plus.
- Self-starter, high-energy, high-focus, willing to take initiatives; naturally thinks of “productization”
- The highest level of integrity and the ability to maintain confidential information are a must.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and time-sensitive issues for various stakeholders (including portfolio companies) with time urgency while maintaining strong attention to detail, quality.
- Needs to be flexible and adaptable in a fast moving environment.
- Ability to work effectively across an organization, driving execution while balancing priorities and needs across three technology sectors, and functional teams including communications, business development and investment.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, product or marketing-related field required. 5-8 years’ experience preferred.
- Online presence and passion for entrepreneurial/startup community is important. Demonstrated ability with building community and partnerships is preferred.
- Ability to use productivity tools such as Google Apps, Slack, Calendly, Mailchimp, and Salesforce are important. Individual should be comfortable using various social networks (Twitter, LinkedIn) to promote Innovation Works, its AlphaLab accelerator programs, its companies and to engage with the startup community.
To include any other duties assigned.
Innovation Works provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.