Electromechanical Engineer - Robotics Factory - Innovation Works Inc.
Electromechanical Engineer - Robotics Factory
The Robotics Factory, led by Innovation Works, facilitates the formation, launch, and growth of robotics startups through three programs: Create, Accelerate, & Scale. This position falls under the Scale program and supports Robotics Factory users in product development from idea through prototyping to manufacturing at scale.
The Electromechanical Engineer will use their skills to provide engineering, design, and prototyping services for Robotics Factory (RF) users. Their support will reduce user product development time and errors while helping them prepare the design files necessary for them to work effectively with the Scalable Manufacturing Network.
This is a unique opportunity to help bring a variety of new technologies to life. You’ll be working in an exciting new prototyping facility called Scale Shop, and you will have the opportunity to help select, operate, and maintain the shop’s equipment.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Review and create technical designs and documentation for electrical and mechanical systems. Technical documentation may include, but not be limited to: Bill of Materials, Bill of Process, technical part & assembly drawings, requirements & specifications, quality control & test plans, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T), 3D CAD/CAM, etc.
- Assist RF-users in setting up engineering design reviews and control systems.
- Assist RF-users in electrical and mechanical component selection and procurement.
- Perform design for manufacturing (DFM) and assembly analysis for RF users.
- Vet suppliers and subcontracting services the Robotics Factory cannot provide users.
- Project management including budgeting and tracking time spent working on projects for each resident to ensure expectations are set and schedules are met.
- Set up, program, and operate the robotic and automation equipment of the Scale Shop.
- Create and code test rigs or automation setups using platforms such as Arduino, Raspberry Pi, or PLCs.
- Maintain a culture of safety for themselves and assist others to do so while working in a shared shop.
- Communicate with cross-functional teams with a wide range of skills and experience.
- Create training and educational materials for design and fabrication techniques that utilize Scale Shop equipment.
- Teach RF-users fabrication techniques and how to safely operate Scale Shop equipment.
- Assist in selecting, ordering, receiving, and installing prototyping equipment
- Set up and maintain equipment preventative maintenance and repair schedules
- Order tooling and consumables needed by the RF Scale Shop; track associated inventory
- Fabricate prototypes for users
- High commitment to Integrity, Creativity, Inclusion, Service, and Collaboration
- A high degree of personal initiative and follow-through.
- Experience in setting up engineering design reviews and control systems.
- Experience drafting and interpreting technical drawings with GD&T.
- Experience prototyping electromechanical systems
- B.S. or M.S. in Robotics, Electro-mechanical, or Mechatronics Engineering
- CAD & CAM in Fusion 360
- Experience preparing and reviewing Gerber files
- Arduino & Raspberry Pi experience
- Electrical skills to design, build, install, and operate industrial automation machinery and circuit boards
- Experience working with contract manufacturers to produce products at a variety of scales
- Entrepreneurial experience, particular emphasis on working to fixed budgets and accurately estimating costs and lead time
- Experience working directly with external customers in a service capacity
- CAD & CAM in other programs
- PLC programming
- QA & QC experience
- Certifications relating to technical product management, quality control, machining, or specific fabrication techniques
- Experience setting up packaging, shipping, & logistics
- Experience modeling and simulating electromechanical systems
- Ability to conduct literature reviews and research
- Experience with electrical wiring, harness design, and prototyping
- Comfortable with public speaking and presentations
Any other duties assigned.
Innovation Works provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.