AlphaLab Program Manager - Innovation Works, Inc.
Innovation Works, Inc. - Job Description
AlphaLab Program Manager
Overview of Position:
The Program Manager role is highly visible within the startup community and will have the opportunity to shape the overall AlphaLab accelerator program within the IW family of accelerators. S/he will play a leading role in the application selection process and will be the main point of contact with the AlphaLab companies during the program. The Program Manager will have the opportunity to build relationships within the Pittsburgh startup community and to develop relationships outside of Pittsburgh through our extended network and our involvement in Morrow, a global network of accelerator programs.
The ideal candidate has prior experience managing and executing on entrepreneurial programs that help startups get to the next stage of growth. Ideally, s/he has prior startup experience, is currently involved in the startup and business community, and is comfortable working with a diverse team at a startup pace. Outstanding leadership, communication and collaborative interpersonal skills are essential. This position requires strong organizational skills, an ability to be hands-on to drive results (both individually and collaboratively in the accelerator team), and comfort communicating with substance in a transparent, direct, and empathetic manner.
- Lead application recruitment and selection process for AlphaLab resulting in offers and ultimately investments in accelerator companies, consistent with organizational goals
- Define, implement and lead the execution of the AlphaLab program including the delivery of resources and startup tools via the AlphaLab Toolbench
- Organize and lead events including programming, founder/mentor/investor networking events, and participating in partner and community events that enhance support for software companies.
- Engage with companies through the course of AlphaLab’s rolling admissions accelerator program, including 1:1 meetings with the companies. Leverage domain expertise and functional skills to assist companies as applicable.
- Continue to support accelerator companies, post-program as part of alumni engagement efforts.
Partner and Network Relationships
- Support efforts to build networks (corporate, mentor, alumni/entrepreneur) for Innovation Works by nurturing strategic individual and partner relationships defined by the accelerator team. Ensure they are integrated into overall IW networks by collaborating with departments responsible for managing overall networks.
- Manage relationships with Morrow/GAN (Global Accelerator Network) - especially with GAN Ventures, GAN Connect and GAN data.
- Represent Innovation Works / AlphaLab at community and partner events, through attendance, participation and speaking.
Application Process and Management
- Lead rolling AlphaLab application process (including market due diligence as needed) and worked with the Accelerator Team to reach decisions and get companies under contract.
- Support Accelerator team recruiting strategy and efforts. In particular, lead accelerator application recruitment and selection processes, including application office hours, review of applications, interviews, follow-up due diligence efforts, and selection.
- Ensure completion of Administrative (and CRM systems) requirements including state reporting, final client reporting, client surveys, and site visits.
- Work collaboratively with the newly created Accelerator Team to drive an accelerator foundation across IW’s family of programs (AlphaLab, AlphaLab Gear, AlphaLab Health, Robotics Factory).
- Work collaboratively with internal partners (e.g. Legal Counsel, Investment Committee) to execute Accelerator investments, including legal due diligence
- Work collaboratively with the Platform Manager and Managing Director of Software to deliver cohesive offerings for AlphaLab companies based on evolving software company needs
- Deliver against team and individual performance against KPIs around network development, engagement with companies, and NPS score.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree, minimum 5 - 10 years of experience.
- Demonstrated ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects and time-sensitive issues for various stakeholders with attention to detail, deadlines, and overall quality.
- Ability to execute individually on program operations while working with the accelerator team.
- Needs to be flexible and adaptable in a fast-moving environment.
- Ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
- Ability to drive results (both individually and collaboratively) in an organization.
- Ability to use productivity tools such as Google Apps, Slack, Calendly, and Salesforce.
- Strong interpersonal skills, leadership, teamwork, and verbal and written communication are a must.
- Comfort communicating with substance in a direct, transparent, and empathetic manner.
- Ability to drive operational decisions and lead projects independently, with minimal supervision
- The ability to maintain confidential information is a must.
- Ability to exemplify our core values of integrity, innovation, inclusion, collaboration, and service.
- Prior experience working in a startup company or with startup companies
- Domain and industry expertise in software-related domains, including various business models and customer acquisition methods, especially digital marketing. Technical skills and understanding are highly preferred.
- Advanced degree in a business and/or technical field
- Online presence and passion for the entrepreneurial/startup community. Demonstrated ability to build community and partnerships is a strong plus.
- The ability to use productivity tools such as Google Apps, Slack, Calendly, and Salesforce is important. Individuals should be comfortable using various social networks to promote AlphaLab Gear, Innovation Works, and its companies and to engage with the startup community.
- To include any other duties assigned.
Innovation Works provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.