Production Manager - Optimus
About Optimus Technologies
Optimus Technologies is a clean energy technology company based in Pittsburgh, PA. Optimus manufactures the Vector System, an advanced fuel system technology that enables diesel engines to operate on 100% biodiesel. The Vector System is designed for medium and heavy-duty fleet applications, where emissions reductions are challenging or impossible to achieve in a cost-effective manner through other means. The Vector System integrates into existing operations to facilitate a seamless transition to low-carbon fuels.
Optimus’ Vector System is in use with leading municipal and private fleets throughout the country enabling them to achieve near-zero carbon emissions while reducing their fuel and fleet operating costs.
Find out more at optimustec.com, on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Optimus seeks a dynamic, organized Production Manager to help us to reach our bold growth goals assisting fleets in reducing their carbon emissions and achieving environmental sustainability goals. This is a full-time, salaried position ($75,000-$95,000) with benefits, based in Pittsburgh, PA with travel requirements of up to 25%. Initially this position will include product & component assembly along with managing vendors and the production process of the Optimus Vector fuel system.
The Production Manager will be the companies’ subject matter expert on all things related to the Vector fuel system technology production. This includes a mastery of all raw materials, component parts, assemblies, as well as where and how they are sourced. It will also require a comprehensive understanding of electrical, mechanical, and software systems and how they are manufactured, sourced and incorporated in the product.
The position will require collaboration with electrical and mechanical engineers and third-party manufacturers. The Production Manager must have an efficiency-first mindset and have a strong grasp on project management, inventory lead time, production scheduling, quality control and continue process improvement.
Optimus is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. People of color, LGBTQ+ people, people with disabilities, veterans and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are strongly encouraged to apply. Consistent with legal requirements, we also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories.
- Oversee and drive day to day production schedules, anticipating and meeting business needs
- Be the primary in-house hands-on assembler and manufacturer of the Vector System and supporting components
- Manage inventory of raw components, subassemblies, assemblies and kits to keep up with workflow
- Manage and maintain the physical inventory space, including optimizing storage, cleaning and upkeep of work benches, and implementing new organizational tactics
- Maintain current inventory and processes in the Manufacturing Resource Planning software and ensure accurate digital inventory tracking
- Lead procurement efforts and maintain relationships with third party vendors and manufacturers. Provide feedback and source new vendors
- Identify key performance indicators and work with Director of Production to meet company goals
- Develop and maintain a Quality Assurance Program for the production team and finished goods
- Clear and constant communication with other staff in regard to production lead times, assembly times, opportunities for improvement and challenges to problem solve
Qualifications & Experience
- Minimum 4+ years in a manufacturing setting, with 2+ years in a leadership/management role
- A history of, or experience with scaling production efforts, procedures, and labor
- Experience in procurement activities with ability to manage hundreds of vendors, 3rd party contractors, and machine shops
- Experience with automotive components, sub-assemblies, assemblies, and kits
- The willingness and experience to work with cross-functional teams
- The ability to read and interpret shop drawings and schematics
- Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP) software experience
- Aptitude for, and understanding of, manufacturing concepts, machinery and tools
- Enthusiasm to roll your sleeves up and take over current production with an eye towards establishing formal production processes and procedures
- Strong ability to adapt to changing sets of priorities and shift between multiple simultaneous tasks
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with experience in reporting on key production metrics
Other Job Requirements
- A passion for alternative energy solutions and commitment to the importance of the climate crisis
- Exposure to outdoor, warehouse, and shop working conditions
- Ability to work around a variety of particulates, lubricants, and chemicals
- Valid driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Domestic and potential international travel, as required (up to 25%)
How to Apply
To apply, please send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A resume.
- A brief cover letter explaining what excites you about joining the Optimus team.
- Supplemental material on anything else that you’ve done that you’d like us to know about that distinguishes you as a preferred candidate.
Optimus is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.